Web App or Mobile App: How to Choose
Who needs an app?
Great question. When smartphones first launched, it seemed like everyone wanted an app. Now over 10 years later, we’re seeing that not everyone really needs one. In general, apps are well-suited for conveying large amounts of data or providing users with a very specific experience. Some good uses for apps include:
- Knowledge centers
- Loyalty programs
- Banking & finance
What’s the difference between mobile apps and web apps?
Mobile apps are built specifically for a mobile platform, like iOS and Android. These are the apps you download from the app store, like weather apps and social media apps. They’re stored directly on your phone and are able to integrate more tightly with the operating system.
Web apps, however, are accessed via the internet — similar to visiting a website. They use responsive design to adapt to a variety of screen sizes. It may look similar to a mobile app, but everything is happening online, not on your device.
So, which should I pick?
That depends on a few factors. You should never rush into a mobile or web app development because you simply wanted one over the other. App development is a major technology initiative and your organization should spend time evaluating which route is best for you. Here are some basic pros and cons for both types.
Mobile App Pros
- Finer control over the app’s UI/UX
- More security options and capabilities
- Ability to integrate into phone’s contacts, calendars and other apps
Mobile App Cons
- Require approval by app store
- Updates and patches must be deployed through the app store
- Differing requirements between iOS and Android apps
Web App Pros
- Require no download from the user
- May be updated at any time
- Work on any web-enabled device, regardless of operating system
Web App Cons
- Require an internet connection
- Less ability to customize the UI/UX
- Less ability to integrate into the mobile device
Ask Us About Apps
Still think you need an app? Great. Let’s talk about it. Schedule a meeting with our Technology team and we’ll get the ball rolling. We’ll help you build a user-driven experience that fits your goals and drives lasting value to your brand.